Reunited: Brindle And White Particolour Whippet Male
- Dog ID 48278
- Status Reunited
- Registered 04 Feb 2013
- Name LOFTY
- Breed Whippet
- Gender Male
- Age Adult
- Build Small
- Colour Brindle and white particolour
- Tail Full
- Marks & Scars Very underweight as recently rescued.
- Tagged Yes
- Microchipped Yes
- Tattooed No
- Date Lost 03 Feb 2013
- Where Lost Very rural area with only farms around. Just 500 yards from home when wandered off.
- Lost In Region North West
- Lost In Post Area BL9
- Date Found 07 Feb 2013
- Where Found In open countryside by searchers
- Found In Region North West
- Found In Post Area OL11
- Date Reunited 07 Feb 2013
- Other Info Lofty has recently joined us as a foster dog and went missing yesterday afternoon. He was wearing a black blizzard coat with red trim and has a collar with ID tag on. we were on a walk with all 6 dogs. lofty was on an extendable lead that got wrapped around a large bush. i had to take him off the lead to lie on the floor to get under the bush to untangle it. he did not run but just walked sniffing. he completely ignored me and all the dogs as we tried to get him on the correct path he got the wrong side of
- Phone 1 0845 625 6211
- Phone 2 07979 817706
- Listed By jinnyfizz
- Views 5239
- Followers 5
- See more Reunited dogs
- Poster Image
- Extra Image
Sightings and Information
Please let us know if you have news about this dog . You will need to log in (above) or register to leave comments. Please note that DogLost cannot be held responsible for the content of any other sites mentioned or linked to in this forum.
- 2013-02-08 09:25 Meru
- Fantastic news! Welcome home Lofty - stay safe and close now little sweetheart xx
- 2013-02-07 23:24 Majorjet (Jan) Area Co-ordinator Liverpool/Merseyside/North West Areas
- REUNITED photo of Lofty with Emily who found him. Thanks for sharing the photo with us you all did a grand job and worked your sock off and it paid off. xxx
The page will need to be refreshed to view the new photo.
- 2013-02-07 22:37 LoopyLurcher
- Very glad this little chap has been found! Well done everyone!
- 2013-02-07 18:01 skippy, Area Co-ordinator Chester
- So very pleased to read that Lofty is safe and home. Huge WELL DONE to Emily, Nigel and Molly as well as all those who have postered and searched for this little lad despite the bitter cold weather.
Welcome home Lofty....enjoy your new life in your foster home and I hope a fabulous furever home comes your way soon little lad. :))xx
- 2013-02-07 17:17 Gillian
- So glad he's been found. I was really worried about him out on the moors in the snow and freezing temperatures. Well done Emily, Nigel & Molly :)
Honeyharvey, if you go to Google maps and enter these co-ordinates you'll see the spot where Lofty was found. Emily's posted it on his FB page 53.634804,-2.264625
- 2013-02-07 14:37 MEGMOG
- So proud of my daughter Emily and husband Nigel who managed to find Lofty this morning with the help of our dog Molly. Got the text message at work and just couldn't believe it. Been so worried about this little dog. Well done to everyone for all your efforts,noticed lots of new posters on my way to work this morning!
- 2013-02-07 14:29 Jayne - Head Office
- Great news...well done team Lofty...
- 2013-02-07 12:47 ravenette
- Fantastic news that this little un has been found! Stay safe and in the warm now Lofty xxx
- 2013-02-07 11:59 Kaz
- Left the house at 9.30, possibly found the green gate ( couldn't get to it stile ) so very happy all the worry & cold where a waste of time!! But my baby enjoyed the extra walks So v v glad he is safe. Having a nice hot choc to celebrate!! :-))))
- 2013-02-07 11:09 honeyharvey
- I am thrilled and so pleased he is ok, would love to know which area he wss found in... Stay safe little chap xxxx
- 2013-02-07 10:54 Scoobster, Area Co-ordinator Salford and Manchester
- brilliant news, Welcome home Lofty and stay safe x
- 2013-02-07 10:22 fern
- THANKS SO MUCH to everyone who has helped, and to DogLost. You've all been brilliant :) Thanks especially to those who were out there in the cold and snow. Lofty is now safe and warm with the lovely lady Emily who found him. He was interested in her dogs, although tired, but was happy to see her. He will make a great recovery. Well done to all you Bury and Surrounding area folk!! Scruples Whippet Rescue are mighty grateful. :)
- 2013-02-07 10:06 mathers22
- BRILLIANT I am so pleased Lofty has been found - well done xx
- 2013-02-07 10:00 millypod
- Phew so pleased to see Lofty is home, stay safe now little one.xx
- 2013-02-07 09:55 No Longer Registered
- I'm so pleased to see this little guy safely home XX
- 2013-02-07 09:49 jinnyfizz
- LOFTY IS FOUND!!! HE IS OK - COLD, TIRED AND VERY HUNGRY BUT HE IS OK :)
- 2013-02-07 09:31 jo
- i am going to look around 11.30 today il park near ashworth reservoir opp owd betts pub,will anybody be there at asimilar time that i can meet up with
- 2013-02-07 09:06 honeyharvey
- Fern I have not got the name I gave it to Pauls wife with the sheet of all the info the guy gave me. I will be up there myself some time today. Good luck xx
- 2013-02-07 08:29 fern
- Ashworth rd Grid ref: SD835154
And Deeply Hill SD825148 These are the two points where we think he might be between. We're suggesting folk head back from these points towards Scotland Rd, where he was lost. Please check behind walls and in farm buildings - he may have been strong enough to get into some shelter last night. These will be useful to take if you can: binoculars, warm blanket, towel, torch, food and water (for Lofty and you - keep your sugars up!), mobile. It would be useful if you are on FB to let me have your names and mobile numbers and the times you plan to be out please, so that we can let you know if he's found. To our knowledge, he is still wearing his black coat. Please approach him slowly - he is very timid. Keep your body half turned towards him and your chin down, with no eye contact. He will be hungry, but please feed him a little at a time. He is underweight anyway, and too much food at once may give him bloat. Many many thanks for everything you are all doing. Good luck today - let's bring this wee hound home. My FB page is Fern Ember. Or you can leave a message on Please Help Find Lofty on FB.
- 2013-02-07 08:15 fern
- Honeyharvey, could you call the phone 1 and 2 numbers above please and give them the name of the man you spoke to? Thank you - Fern
- 2013-02-07 07:27 Sandra
- Have a friend who lives near owld Betts, have informed her also know a few people who ride around there. Will post around the Norden side of valley and also drop one in at the local pet shop as the owner also lives that way on.
- 2013-02-07 05:16 honeyharvey
- Will call at Bleakholt again this morning to check he has not been handed in. It is about a mile away from the area he is in.
- 2013-02-07 04:58 honeyharvey
- All the details were given to Lofty's foster Dad ,they gave me co-ordinates approx of the area where they saw him and a definate mention of going through a green gate and he was behind a wall to the left but they did not know how far. They would not give me a mobile number and did not have one on them. One of them gave me his name which I have passed on also maybe able to contact him via directory enquires.They must live locally as they continued walking down the road towards Edenfield after eating their sandwiches on a picnic bench at the pub.There are some woods at the side of the dirt road going towards Walmesley and a stone wall,there is also a green gate down there so any footpaths around that area are possibles. No-one has tried any food up there yet either. Good luck x
- 2013-02-06 23:55 fern
- Many thanks for everyone's help today. No sightings tonight. People are going out tomorrow towards Deeply Hill and also along the footpath at the farm at the top NE of the reservoir on Ashworth road. He is likely to be on the South East of walls, sheltering from the wind which is meant to be NWesterly. Thanks - you've all been great.
- 2013-02-06 23:06 MEGMOG
- Been up there for a couple of hours, met some other people but no sign of him. will go back up tomorrow afternoon after i finish work at lunch time and have another look.
- 2013-02-06 22:07 jo
- im not no but if you need to contact me you can by email or mobile but not sure how to give you these details privately
- 2013-02-06 21:55 fern
- HI Jo - thank you. Are you on Facebook? Fern
- 2013-02-06 21:43 jo
- I am new to this site but i live near this area,i can help look tomorrow from about 12 for a few hours if thats ok
- 2013-02-06 21:32 fern
- honeyharvey - do we have any contact dtails for the old walkers?
- 2013-02-06 21:20 honeyharvey
- The old men said he did not bark or move when their jack russell found him but he could have been tired and sheltering from the wind ,it was freezing up there today xx He was leaning against the wall lay down.
- 2013-02-06 20:51 Gillian
- That's fair enough. Could they tell if he was OK or not? So close to home and also close to help. Hope someone can get to him in time xxx
- 2013-02-06 20:35 honeyharvey
- Phone reception very patchy around there, spoke to the butty wagon and he is going to let people know. He is about 20 mins walk from the butty wagon down from the reservoir. The guys said they could not carry him and to be honest did not look strong enough. xx He is definately around there and only 15/20 mins from home too xxx
- 2013-02-06 20:25 Kaz
- Op Owd Betts is a parking area with bins, if anyone got posters good place to put em, dog walkers use em as poo bins, will be out with my little yob (brown coat not red tomorrow ) & food & lead in case, majorjet if u get any more info after say 09.30 tomoz can you text me if poss, web v v slow in the area & want to keep battery up in case!! TA Kaz
- 2013-02-06 20:13 Gillian
- You would have thought they could have done something about him and not just left him lying there! Makes me very sad to think how cold and hungry he must be and walkers just carried on walking. Poor Lofty :(
- 2013-02-06 20:08 Kaz
- Got a hospital appointment tomorrow but will be out in am but only for a quick one!!! Sorry printer not working at mo:-(
- 2013-02-06 19:25 honeyharvey
- Update two elderly gentlemen who were hiking around Owd Betts and Ashworth area saw Lofty about lunchtime today. Their Jack Russell found him lay behind a wall but he did not bark. They said he had a black coat on and was very small. They gave me directions but vague as they were using an ordnance survey map but basically he is somewhere behind Ashworth Reservoir between Yates Farm and Edenfield area. They mentioned a green gate which they went through and he was not far from there. He is on the Bury side of the reservoir possibly around the area where there are pylons. If anybody could go up there tomorrow walking there is a good possibility he may get spotted again. The gentlemen were following a walk from ordnance survey maps. They said he was about 40 mins walk from Owd Betts pub. Paul is out again tonight with his dogs searching and all the farms and houses tucked away in that area have been informed. Posters could do with being put up at the car park where the butty van is.The guys from one of the farms have been out on quads but no sign yet. Fingers crossed and any helpers in the area would be fab xxxxx The whippet near Hornby Street belong to the Gypsy site next door xxxLast edited: 2013-02-06 19:27:19 by honeyharvey
- 2013-02-06 18:10 Kaz
- Parked across from Owd Betts walked to wind turbines, nothing seen not even paw prints without footprints nearby in the snow!! Did speak to a man who walks his dogs in the area nearly every day, he said he would keep an eye out. The chuck wagon at weekends ( John) would be a good place for leaflets, business card size info cards and a large poster!!!
- 2013-02-06 16:15 MEGMOG
- Noticed on Lofty's facebook page that he may have been spotted on Hornby Street Bury last night at 9pm heading towards Tip Yard.
- 2013-02-05 22:22 Majorjet (Jan) Area Co-ordinator Liverpool/Merseyside/North West Areas
- Lofty's registered details with the AW's:
04 Feb 2013 Whippet
Location: Bury BL9
Our Ref: 292132
For further details call 0845 241 7253 (local rate)
to amend, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2013-02-05 22:19 Majorjet (Jan) Area Co-ordinator Liverpool/Merseyside/North West Areas
- I've had a reply and the found in MDH will be getting checked out. Hope it is Lofty and we see him reunited soon. Good luck. xxx
- 2013-02-05 21:21 Gillian
- I've emailed the Mountain Rescue with a link to Lofty's poster.
- 2013-02-05 21:12 Majorjet (Jan) Area Co-ordinator Liverpool/Merseyside/North West Areas
- Has Manchester Dog's Home been contacted 0161 205 7136?
Had a report of a found Whippet picked up yesterday in Bury that has now been taken to Manchester Dogs Home? Don't know anymore details.
I've sent a message to the mobile number in the details above. x
- 2013-02-05 21:10 Kaz
- Bury market tomorrow if someone has posters / leaflets ask Tony ( Tony's pet stall ) Janine ( nearest pet stall to hot potatoes ) & the other stall near fish & chips to put them up, hot potato / black pud stalls are good places to ( busy). Don't know when edenfield / Rochdale markets are. Northern Parrots in Ramsbottom may be worth an ask ( good one for parrots / people travel for this). Any one know if rescue kennels that way on?? Heywood Vets been emailed, if someone can whip a poster to them, they are great that way!!!
- 2013-02-05 21:07 Gillian
- Thanks. I'll contact them. My friend's husband is with Kinder Mountain Rescue and I know they go out training quite regularly so it's worth letting Rossendale know.
- 2013-02-05 20:53 Kaz
- Rossendale and Pendle Mountain Rescue Team
www.rpmrt.org.uk emails under contacts hope it helps. Best of British
- 2013-02-05 20:51 Kaz
- 2013-02-05 20:38 Gillian
- Do you know which Mountain Rescue are responsible for that area Kaz? As you say, it would be well worth contacting them. The more people on the look out the better.
- 2013-02-05 20:26 Kaz
- Hi Gillian, yes the pub in basically the centre of Olde Betts, top end of Ashworth (Ashy) valley, (guides & scouts have camp site), may be worth contacting mountain rescue in case they are training / out in the area!! Will have a drive out that way tomorrow my baby needs a good walk:-). As always treats and a spare lead in case!!!!! Fingers crossed Best of British
- 2013-02-05 19:15 honeyharvey
- I called at Bleakholt Dog Rescue today which is very near where Lofty went missing and they do not always report found dogs to animal wardens so I thought I would ask and a girl that works in the cattery said a friend of hers who works at the quarry had heard a dog barking close to the quarry when he opened up early one morning. I spoke to him but the dog would not come to him and it was dark and he could not see him. This was near Scout Moor Quarry and the wind farm on Owd Betts which is what the locals call the area where Lofty was lost. I have logged him on Myerscough vets lost dogs all branches which are all around the area and a friend who works for the quarry company is going to get the wagon drivers and staff to keep an eye open for him too.The weather has been awful up there today, hope he is safe. Also have a friend who lives in Penistone so sent her all the info on facebook re the sighting and she will circulate locally too xx
- 2013-02-05 18:12 Gillian
- I've just seen a comment from someone on Lofty's FB page who posted about him on the the Shut Down Belle Vue site. Someone on there has said the he was "seen possibly around the Wind Farm on Owd Betts and the quarry". Do you know this area Kaz? I've found Owd Betts on Google maps but that looks like a pub but must be the general area. Not too far from where he went missing so definitely possible that it's him.
- 2013-02-05 16:36 Kaz
- Fingers crossed, you said you had just got him, where did he live before could he be heading home ( such as it was its still home to him!!!) emailed on to Heywood Vet Centre & other dog walkers in Bury!! Can you pin down a little better than fields.... Fairfield, pills worth etc. I'm right near centre but printer down will be out with my little:-) baby will ask around!!!! Any help willingly given free all day wed thurs morn, fri morn then back at work with a printer yehhhhh
- 2013-02-05 13:59 Berties Family
- whippets are really hardy and although it is 26 miles it could be him, poor boy - once they start running they dont stop unless exhausted. will share on my facebook x
he could have also been picked up and escaped again....Last edited: 2013-02-05 14:01:13 by Berties Family
- 2013-02-05 13:52 Gillian
- I would love it to be him Rachel - nothing I'd like more, but I'm not a million miles away from either Penistone or Bury and know the terrain. The weather has been atrocious over the last 24 hours and he would have to have crossed high moorland in deep snow. But better that it's followed up just in case!
- 2013-02-05 13:38 rachelhayball
- The point where he was spotted is 26 miles cross country. The whippet spotted was described to me on the phone and did sound very similar and is wearing an identical coat.
- 2013-02-05 13:35 Gillian
- Think this is unlikely unless he's been picked up and dumped. Sadly Penistone is a very long way from Bury
- 2013-02-05 12:59 iheartwhippets
- Possible sighting - Kirkwood Corn Mills Sheffield Rd, Penistone, Sheffield S36 6HQ
- 2013-02-05 12:28 Jaspbenswood
- Cross posted to fb and rt so friends in area are aware
- 2013-02-05 12:20 iheartwhippets
- I've just emailed posters to local dog walkers, dog trainers, clubs, groomers,agility people, etc... Will now call local papers and radio
- 2013-02-04 21:54 iheartwhippets
- I've just set up a FB page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Please-help-find-Lofty/410524779038993
- 2013-02-04 18:59 ClaireBearG - Area Co-ordinator Bolton/North West Areas
- Shared on FB - Dogs Northwest Repost x
- 2013-02-04 17:44 rachelhayball
- Jackie- please can you call the rescue on the number above. They really need help so would be very grateful
- 2013-02-04 17:38 Jackie
- I don't know the area but I'm only 30mins away in the car if you need any help searching, if possible with someone else, I can only do evenings as I work. Just let me know.
- 2013-02-04 13:22 Riverlady, Twitter Co-ordinator
- circulating on twitter...LOFTY White/Brindle Whippet LOST http://bit.ly/YOx8wz #Bury #BL9 Rescue Dog Plz RT
- 2013-02-04 13:06 Jayne - Head Office
- Alerts sent out to helpers in BL0,2,8,9. OL11,12.
- 2013-02-04 11:05 jinnyfizz
- Lofty is scared of men - please don't try to approach him if he is looking nervous but keep him in your sight if you can and phone 07979 817706
- 2013-02-04 10:54 rachelhayball
- Sending advice to rescue re tracking and scenting.
- 2013-02-04 10:54 BB451 Area Co-ordinator Kent
- Sharing Lofty's poster on facebook, will add a request for helpers to the poster. x
- 2013-02-04 10:52 rachelhayball
- Requesting alerts, including twitter alerts.
- 2013-02-04 10:50 jinnyfizz
- Lofty is a foster dog and does not know the area. He is very thin as he came from a difficult situation and although he is wearing a coat that will probably not protect him very well. He is not cat safe and will probably hunt for food. He is quite a nervous little lad and has no recall whatsoever but will probably come for nice smelling food so if anyone in the area can get up there to search it would be most appreciated. He was only 500 yards from his foster carer's home when he wandered off whilst his lead was being untangled from a bush :(